Sunday, November 1, 2009

My nemesis has a hot tub?

Well, what can I say, it might be war. It also might be a faulty pool thermometer. I don’t know. But I really have a suspicion that my nemesis, the raccoons are back. Or maybe nemesi? Is that a word? Or is it nemesis’? Either way, some background is required.

Because the weather changes a lot this time of year, I use a floating thermometer, the same kind used in swimming pools and hot tubs, to monitor temperature. I check it every few days and if need be, turn off the heater or turn it back on as needed.

That is where the problems began. I looked to check the thermometer the other day and could not find it. I looked everywhere. I had removed the string holding the thermometer because in a 3 foot by 10 foot pond, how far can a floating thermometer wander? And what self respecting Koi Garden pond owner would damage the look with an ugly, algae ridden string draped across the pond?

A pool thermometer doesn’t just walk away on it’s own. And I don’t think a new thermometer would just sink on its own? Of course because the water has been warm lately, it is still very green and I can’t be 100% sure it isn’t at the bottom.

Nope, it must be the Raccoons. I know it is them. They have come back and taken the pond thermometer for their own nefarious needs. The gauntlet has been thrown. They have sent a message. It is now mano a mano. Man vs Raccoon.

An over-reaction, you say? A fictional foe, you might think? An early onset of SAD (Seasonally Affected Disorder)?

I think not.
There have been other signs that they are here. A disrupted set of glass floats. A moved bamboo water outlet. There are even signs on the pond cover has been bounced on while playing with the water outlet. Even a broken floating ceramic turtle; the head was ripped off.

The gloves are coming off….


More later.....

2 comments:

Butcher of Bend said...

But they look sooo cute!

Mr Raccoon never hurt anybody...

They were here first...

Raccoons are people too...


Well, still, they must be dealt with. I say, since you can't use high calibers, use high voltage. The neighborhood cats would just be collateral damage. Darwins law.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a job for the Bearded Burly Bourne Boy. My prediction: Raccoons:0, BBBB:1.